Original PhotoOriginal glass lantern slide. Size 3.25" x 4". Shows African girls class with two Caucasian female teachers in a classroom with a blackboard on an easel, and two maps hanging on the wall with a clock, as well as a globe on a cabinet. The children are various grade school ages. Half sit on the floor with open books, and half sit on a bench at a table with open books. All are African and sparsely clothed in flowing garments from the waist down. Below the photo the words "Gayaza A Class in School" is scratched into the negative. Gayaza High School is the oldest all-girls boarding secondary school covering grades 8 to 13 (Secondary 1 to 6) in Uganda. In 1904, under the reign of Kabaka Daudi Cwa II; Sir Apollo Kaggwa, a in chief in Buganda, requested the England-based Church Missionary Society to open a girls' school at Gayaza, this was the first girl school in Uganda. Published by Young People's Missionary Movement of the United States and Canada.